Expat in Dublin Blog Expat: living abroad

Tuesday 31 December 2013

Cleaning House: the beginnings

Since I'm not 100% sure I'm actually moving to Ireland yet, I have not begun a mass sell-off of my personal belongings, but I have, however, begun pairing down what I own. Even if I end up staying in North Carolina, there is a lot of "stuff" I could do without. So, I've slowly been creating three categories: sell now via Craigslist, sell later via yard sale and trash. My yard sale pile is beginning to form in my den, and my trash can has been filled full once already.

I live in a small house, so I really don't have a lot to begin with, but my attic is filled with stuff I've collected through my life. I've recently come to the conclusion that there really is very little I need to keep. I'm of the mindset that memories don't need to be tangible, so the is no need to save things that just take up space and have no real purpose. Sure, I'll be a little teary eyed when I have to sell my Grandfathers hand made tool chest, but I know it will go to someone who will appreciate it. It's not like it will just be thrown out.

I'm currently in Connecticut visiting family. When I get back home, I'm going to really concentrate on getting rid of some things. I have a load of tools that I rarely use and could sell off and not miss, even if I did stay in NC. I have a bike I haven't ridden in over a year, as well as a nice bike rack.

Next post: house repairs. Ugh.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Expat in Dublin