Expat in Dublin Blog Expat: living abroad

Thursday 5 June 2014

When it rains, it pours

Well, it certainly is not a soft day here in North Carolina.  I've continued to look for and apply to jobs stateside, just in case something amazing came up and my plans to head to Ireland didn't work out as planned.  Last week I received a call from the Biltmore Estate asking if I would be able to interview for a position I had applied to. For those not familiar with the Biltmore (see link), it is an amazing place.  To work their would be a great opportunity.  The Biltmore is located in Asheville, NC in the mountains.  It's a really beautiful area of the state.  I decided that it's worth a shot, so I drove 4 hours out to the estate on Tuesday. I arrived about 30 minutes early so I sat in the car in the parking lot. As I waited, I received an email from a hotel in Middletown, CT asking when I could set up a time to interview.  Late last week I also received a call from a Marriott in Fairfax, VA asking if I was still interested in the position I applied for there. To top it all off, just two days ago I received an email from a Hyatt in Rochester NY asking if I'm still interested in that position. Holy cow!!

So, I have interviewed for the Biltmore and have decided it's not for me - one down. I emailed the Hotel in CT and told them I was not interested.  I was not impressed with their facility after I had done some research - two down.  I interviewed with the Fairfax Marriott via ph9one today and they said they "will be in touch". I've heard that many times before with no response, so we will see where this one goes.  I tentatively have an interview scheduled for Monday with the Hyatt.

On Wednesday, I sat at the Brickhouse Sports Bar playing trivia with my friend George.  I was thinking a lot about this whole situation trying to decide what I should do. On one hand here in front of me I now have two very real possibilities of employment. On the other hand, I can fly to Ireland where I do not really have any opportunities and take my chances (oh, the job in Omagh in NI may not work out, as they are looking to fill the role ASAP). This is such a tough decision for me to make.  I have wanted to move to Ireland for years; this is not something I just decided a few months ago.  As Erin pointed out to me, when else would I get this opportunity to just pack up and move to another country?  I've sold almost all of my possessions already. This just might be my one and only opportunity.

I'm still waffling, though. I've pretty much decided I am going to Ireland, but there are just a few logistics holding me back from committing 100% quite yet. The main one being paying for an airline ticket.  When I first thought about doing this, I based the decision on the fact that if I made enough money from the sale of the house, I would go. Well, I am making enough money, but it occurred to me early this week that I don't have that money yet, and I don't have the money to buy a plane ticket.  I did however make reservations for 15 days lodging through Airbnb, I was able to afford that. I've also been in touch with the two recruiters I've been working with so they both know my arrival in Dublin (which is scheduled right now for July 2nd).  I'm hoping I can sell enough of my other possessions to at least get me a ticket.  I have a car to sell yet, but of course I need that until the very end. Do y'all see my quandary here?

So, no final decision yet, but yay, I have more interviews. I still wonder if they are worth my time and stress.  I wasted 12 hours and about $60 worth of gas going to Asheville.  Oh well...

1 comment:

  1. Sounds like a tough spot to be in... Best of luck!

    ReplyDelete

Expat in Dublin