Expat in Dublin Blog Expat: living abroad

Saturday 19 April 2014

Home repairs and clearing house

As I had posted in a much earlier post, I had a few things that I needed to get fixed on the house before I could get it onto the market. Well, that project to replace trim I had mentioned way back in January didn't get completed until just two weeks ago; I kept putting it off.  Once I started to pull the rotted wood away, I found more rot, so the project became just a little more involved than I had thought.  But, it still only took a few hours to complete. I must say, that I'm very happy how it came out.

The next project was the floor in the bathroom  This too went quicker than I had expected.  After laying down a layer of luan plywood, I filled the screw holes and cracks and began laying tile. As I mentioned, I used peel and stick tiles and then grouted.  I think it looks amazing and looks like real tile.




Next came some siding on the exterior of the house that had to be replaced. You see, when my house was built back in 1992, compressed fiberboard siding was the thing, rather than the Hardiplank that's used now.  Eventually, the fiberboard begins to break down and absorb water.  There was an area on the back of the house that had a piece that a chunk was actually missing.  This definitely had to be replaced, but I figured I'd replace some other pieces nearby that had started to "bubble" (expand due to water infiltration).  I was able to complete this project in about 4 hours time.  Unfortunately, I had to climb up on my roof and replace some trim and siding on my chimney as well. I hat going onto my roof because it's at a fairly steep pitch.  But, it all looks grand now and again, I'm very happy with the results.

After I completed each project, I stood back and admired it, and thought to myself: I sure wish I had just done this a long time ago.  Oh well. All projects are now complete.

The Clean-out


Over the past several weeks (well, months actually), I've been disposing of items I no longer need or want. I like the term Cory used in his blog: The Great Jettison.  It's really amazing when you stop to think about what you actually really do, or do not, need to live.  I've had two very successful yard sales and have made numerous trips to Good Will.  I've also made several trips to the local dump. In fact, I was just interrupted in writing this post by someone who has just purchased my table saw.  That's $275 to help me survive until the house is sold!  Earlier today I met someone to sell a sleeping bag to.  I have several items listed on Craigslist right now. I plan to have one final "Moving" sale once the house is under contract.

 I've got to say here that Craig and I have a love/hate relationship. I love that his list is free and it's a good way to get rid of unwanted stuff, but I hate half of the people, wait...more than half of the people who respond.  People have no common courtesy and don't show up when promised or just don't get back in touch with you. Ugh.

And finally, a bit of good news, I think. I had two showings on the house today. I have not heard any feedback from either one, though. I know there is another pending, too.

1 comment:

  1. Good luck on selling the house. We had our own fun Craigslist times with people standing us up and "blast replying" to our ads. It ended up being worth it, and I hope it is for you. Thanks for the shout-out!

    ReplyDelete

Expat in Dublin